~350 gr lamb, cut in cubes
1 cup hot water -for lamb
1 1/2 cup rice, rinsed
1 large onion, peeled, cut in round slices
2 medium size white potato, peeled, cut in round slices
1 medium size eggplant, peel alternating strips of skin lengthwise, cut in round slices
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp oregano
3 cup hot water -for the dish
Sunflower oil for frying
Mixed salad, lemon juice, salt and pepper
Cook the lamb cubes with their juice without oil. Add 1 cup hot water, salt and pepper and cook over low heat until the lamb softens and all the water evaporates. Sprinkle the oregano all over the lambs, turn the heat off.
Saute the rice with butter, salt and pepper. The process that the rice will lightly toast, stir occasionally. Turn the heat off.
Meanwhile, lightly fry the both sides of potatoes with sunflower oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place on a plate with a paper towel to soak up extra oil.
Soak the eggplants in 2 cups of water with salt for about 20 minutes. Squeeze and dry them with a paper towel. Then fry the both sides of eggplants with the sunflower oil in a large skillet at high heat. Place on a plate with a paper towel to soak up extra oil.
Arrange all the prepared ingredients in a medium size pot in the following the order starting with the first layer from the bottom;
1. layer = Cover the bottom of the pot with the onions.
2. layer = Cover the onions with the half of the fried potato slices. Season with salt and pepper.
3. layer = Place the half of the cooked lambs all over the potatoes.
4. layer = Cover the lambs with the half of the sauteed rice evenly.
5. layer = Arrange all the fried eggplants top of the rice.
6. layer = Cover the eggplants with the rest of the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
7. layer = Place the rest of the lamb over the potatoes.
8. layer = Spread the rice that is left over the top and press evenly with the back of the spoon.
Pour the 3 cups hot water into the pot from the side slowly. First turn the heat to high when the pot gets warmed up, then, immediately turn the heat down to the low. Cover and cook until all the water evaporates. Let it cool down for 5 minutes.
Cover the large serving plate with the pot, turn it upside down. Do not lift the pot! Season the mixed salad with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Arrange them all around the pot. Then, you can lift the pot:)
Traditionally few spoons of Turkish yoğurt and salad should be placed around the pilaf. I prefer to serve this delicious Pilaf with Ayran instead or yoğurt:)